I'm thirsting for a good pub
Source: Mail on Sunday
- March 25, 2007
- I'm thirsting for a good pub;
Why I live where I live
- MARK ANSTEAD
- Actor Sean Bean, 47, is best known for
playing Bernard Cornwell's Richard
- Sharpe and for his role as Boromir in
The Lord Of The Rings.
- He also stars in the new Nick Love film
Outlaw, about a gang of vigilantes
- in London. He lives alone in Belsize
Park, North London.
- I've lived in Belsize Park for nine
years. I used to be based nearby when I was
- a drama student at RADA and I remember
the area quite fondly from those days.
- There were four of us sharing a flat
and when we finished we all went our
- different ways. I wanted to stay living
here but I couldn't afford it after all,
- there had been four of us paying the
- I always wanted to return and have my
own home here. When I saw my
- house for sale in 1998 it appealed to
me because it was private but
- spacious. It has a nice garden and the
interior layout is very open-plan.
- The style wasn't normal terrace or regular
house; the architecture was a bit
- different, a bit individual.
- It's a mixed community here and you
get some areas that are very nice and
- some that are only average (like anywhere
in London). I'm lucky because
- I have some pretty good neighbours and
over the years I've made some good
- friends here.
- I get a lot of enjoyment from pottering
about in the garden. At the moment
- I'm digging a pond to attract frogs
and newts. I like to do much of the work
- myself, although I have a gardener who
comes in to help me every now and again.
- Gardening is the main way I spend my
time when I'm not working there's always
- something that needs doing. I've planted
a few trees because I've always
- been interested in wildlife and I've
made the garden friendly to animals by
- planting lots of shrubs and the kind
of plants that attract them.
- I'm quite close to the M1 so transport
is relatively easy, but driving around
- Belsize Park is always busy.
- The roads are narrow and it's very hard
- It's a pain getting in and out of London,
paying the congestion charge or
- using your mobile phone to pay the meters.
I think it's such a hassle.
- If I have to go somewhere in London,
most of the time I will just get a cab.
- I don't like some of the changes I've
seen here. There used to be a nice
- pub called the Belsize Tavern a proper
pub you could go into on Saturday
- and read the papers with a pint. They
bought the post office next door and
- turned it into a poncey wine bar serving
- There's not a pub around Belsize Park
any more and I think that has
- affected the character of the area.
There's another nearby called The
- Washington which is not bad, but it's
a shame about the other one.
- It's amazing how much that sort of thing
can affect people meeting up and
- . Sean Bean was talking to Mark Anstead.
(Thanks to Govi for the